To determine whether you are infertile, Doctor will go over your health history, medications, sexual history and sex habits like how often you have sex.
You should know: In 80 % of couples the cause of infertility is either ovulation problem, blockage in fallopian tubes or a sperm problem. In about 5 % to 15 % of the cases, all tests would be normal, but causes are unknown.
So, What are the treatments for infertility?
In men infertility is treated with :
- Surgery: if the cause is varicocele (widening of veins in the scrotum) Or A blockage in Vas deferens (tubes that carry sperm)
- Antibiotics: to treat infections in reproductive organs
- Medications & counselling: to treat problems with erections or ejaculation
- Hormone treatment: if problem is a low or high levels of certain hormones
In women infertility is treated with:
- Fertility drugs and hormones: to help women ovulate and restore hormonal levels
- Surgery: to remove tissue that is blocking fertility ( endometriosis ) or to open blocked fallopian tubes, fibroid removal, Cyst removal, polyp removal etc.
In men and women, infertility can be treated with Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART). There are several types of ART:
- Ovulation Induction: Tablets and / or injections are given to stimulate ovaries followed by serial ultrasound the ensure egg release.
- Intra Uterine Insemination (IUI): Sperm is collected, processed and placed inside the women’s uterus while she is ovulating.
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF): The sperm and egg are collected and brought together in a laboratory. The fertilized egg grows for 3 to 4 days. Then the embryo is placed in women’s uterus.